Friday, October 28, 2011

Dreamsongs: Volume 1 - Part 1 - Discussion

Few days late, my apologies, but not too late anyway, heh. So, been about two weeks since I posted the first post, time to start up discussion on the first portion of Dreamsongs, Vol. 1.

A Four-Color Fanboy

Though not required, I figure some of you may've read through this portion anyway. Good thinking, in any event. No real questions about it as it is just an autobiographical bit by Martin, but just out of curiosity, what did you think so far? One thing of interest especially, I think, is how he refers to the three stories that follow as his "apprentice work" and to "read on if you dare."

Only Kids Are Afraid of The Dark

The first of the three stories, involving Saagael, the Prince of Demons, Lord of Darkness, etc etc (so many titles) and the hero Doctor Weird.

1. What did you think of the overall story? Did it seem somewhat childish to you, battle between definite good and evil, a superhero, demon, and so on?
2. Even as one of his early works, Martin's ability to set up a scene is evident in this story. Did you find his description of the temple, of the plane where Saagael waited to be overly descriptive, or fitting?

The Fortress

The Fortress, aka Sveaborg, is, if you couldn't tell/didn't know, based on a real location of the same name (though it was once known as Suomenlinna). This is a departure, in my experience, from most of Martin's work. Typically he doesn't go for a sort of historical fiction. An oddity.

1. Why do you think Martin chose Sveaborg to write about? Was he trying, much like the character Carl Bannersson in the Epilog, to be an armchair general of sorts (though to be fair to Bannersson, at least in the story, he was present at Sveaborg so had some ground to stand on in that regard)?
2. Based on your reading of these three stories, do you think that Martin's choice of historical fiction was a good idea?
3. With question # 2 in mind, why do you think Martin chose to not do any historical fiction stories (that I know of, anyway, Dreamsongs vol. 1 & 2 do not, to my recollection, have any other, his A Song of Ice and Fire series is not based on our reality, and the Wildcard series of books based on present day with superheroes and the like)?

And Death His Legacy

Personally, my favorite of the first three. I found it an interesting way to tell a story.

1. Just whose legacy is death in this story? The Prophet or Maximillian de Laurier?
2. Though he wrote it around 1968, in a way this story could easily (and eerily) be seen as taking place today. Whatever your feelings about the current (and immediate future) political layout, do you think this story holds a message? And do you agree with it?
3. And do you agree with what Maximillian chose to do in the end? More to that matter, do you think it was the right thing to do at all?

And I'll end this out with announcing that Part 2, The Filthy Pro, which encompasses The Hero, The Exit To San Breta, The Second Kind Of Loneliness, and With Morning Comes Mistfall, will be up next Friday (if I'm on time, anyway, heh). Enjoy!

3 comments:

Istari the Angel said...

I was drawn right in to A Four Color Fanboy. I related to it very much, despite the generational gap.

Out of the three I enjoyed Only Kids Are Afraid of the Dark best, probably since I'm drawn to exactly that kind of story. I'm not the best to judge, since despite LOTR being my favorite book of all time I engage to a huge extent in young adult lit, but I suppose some would see this particular story as rather childish. I've known fantasy readers of various ages to admit that one reason they like fantasy is because there is a clearly defined line between good and evil, and for the most part good always wins. I loved the character of Dr. Weird, and would totally read more of his adventures. The scene was descriptive to a degree that I equate with Tolkien, and I loved it.

The Fortress was my least favorite of the three, probably because I felt the real world to be a lot more humdrum after the adventures of Dr. Weird, and I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction that has so much political bent. I would have honestly guessed that he wrote that one as a response to a professor or something, rather than something he chose to write of his own accord.

And Death His Legacy...I guessed you would enjoy this one, drawn as I know you to be to politics. I enjoyed the storytelling, and could definitely see it taking place in familiar territory, as it were, but I wasn't quite so drawn to it. I was more intrigued by the writing style in this one than the story itself.

Overall though, I was highly impressed with Martin's writing and I definitely look forward to reading more.

Kate said...

Just a quick post to let you know I've read the reading. I just haven't had a moment to compose my thoughts for the discussion yet, probably won't get to until tomorrow or so (it being Halloween and all today). Thanks!

Kate said...

Sorry that it's taken me all week to get back to this. I've been pretty sick this week. :(

I enjoyed the introduction section. It was interesting to learn about someone's journey into writing.

I didn't find conflict of good vs evil in the first short story childish. As Angela mentioned, one of the greatest fictional stories ever written has clearly defined good vs evil all throughout it. Just the same, the story wasn't my favorite of the group that we read. It was a little dark for me, although I found the trick at the end quite satisfying. :)

I actually really enjoyed The Fortress. I don't know enough of the history to fully appreciate it, but I found myself most interested in this story and what would happen. So, yeah, I don't have any problem with his choice of trying out historical fiction. I don't know why he chose not to write any other historical fiction stories. Maybe he felt writing fantasy was more flexible and didn't have to be grounded in any sort of historical accuracy.

I would think that the death of The Prophet is the one with the legacy since his death seemed to only increase the momentum of the movement than quell it. He became a martyr. I found so many similarities with today's political climate, that it was uncanny at times, but also strangely comforting. I've been concerned with how vitriolic the political scene has become, but this story was inspired by another (perhaps even more intense) tumultuous time, and the country made it through okay in the end. I agree with the religious overtones that we saw in the story with regards to politics. It's the same way today. In many ways in our society, politics has become religion for many people. I don't agree with Maximillian at all. I don't ever condone killing, and to continue to do so makes him a mass murderer. Ironically, he's trying to play savior to the country himself, but are his ideas any better? We don't even know what they are (but can assume that they are pretty contrary to the political movement going on). Regardless of what his ideas are, everyone has a right to speak in this country, and shutting someone down because you disagree is not the solution. In a way, Maximillian may have proved The Prophet correct, hence his legacy upon his death.

Just to let you know...I have not read this week, so I will be late on the discussion for the next reading as well most likely. I'm sorry about that!